Contino Helps Tigerair Move to a Next-Generation Data Analytics Platform
About the Client
Tigerair Australia is a low-cost carrier that operates aircraft across 21 domestic routes out of 12 destinations around Australia.
The airline has flown more than 30 million passengers in Australia since its operations commenced in 2007.
Tigerair employs over 1,100 people in Australia including cabin crew and pilots and through its ground handling and maintenance partnerships.
The company’s mission is to be the budget airline of choice for all Australians. The airline is committed to delivering the best in terms of safe, affordable, reliable air travel with friendly service.
Tigerair identified a need to upgrade its existing data analytics platform with a modern solution that would deliver new capabilities and enable more rapid interrogation and analysis of data to drive key operational and commercial decisions.
Tigerair was using a legacy reporting platform based on an on-premises database and Microsoft Excel (with VBA and SQL). As the data volume grew and the platform reached capacity, this created a bottleneck that prevented Tigerair from performing self-service functions such as data exploration and ad hoc queries. The reporting process also relied heavily on human effort, which was time consuming and exposed to error.
A new data platform would help Tigerair overcome these challenges and provide the technology foundations to support future data-driven innovations to enhance customer experience, reduce costs and increase revenue.
Tigerair engaged Contino to support its transformation program, specifically to uplift its manual, legacy business reporting and data storage capabilities and move to a cost-effective, highly scalable, real-time data platform leveraging Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies.
Tigerair approached Contino because of its proven success in building data analytics platforms for customers in the travel and airline industry.
The primary stakeholders were Tigerair’s commercial and operations teams. Contino conducted workshops with these teams to identify business pain points caused by existing technology constraints, as well as potential solutions. Small-scale prototypes were created to prove the solutions before they were scaled into an enterprise-grade data platform.
Contino proposed and executed:
- A next-generation data lake in the AWS cloud to provide a cost-effective, centralised and scalable platform for new data-driven innovations
- AWS data analytics services and CI/CD pipelines to help Tigerair modernise its data capabilities
- A cloud data platform and data pipelines to produce curated datasets to gain more insights into commercial and airline operations
- A self-service business insights platform, setting the foundation for more advanced analytics in the future.
The new data platform has considerably improved how operational and commercial reporting is delivered at Tigerair, including:
- Automated operations and commercial reporting, allowing Tigerair to move away from legacy and manual Excel-based processes
- A self-service data platform leveraging Microsoft Power BI that allows the team to access business insights at any time, enabling rapid, data-driven decision making
- An easy-to-use platform that provides a better user experience for Tigerair staff.
The Contino team worked closely with Tigerair to deliver the project in 12 weeks. Tigerair was able to strengthen data-driven decisions within three weeks of the engagement commencing.
Contino has been an instrumental partner in supporting Tigerair with the design and delivery of new and enabling cloud technologies to transform our current and future data analytics capabilities in line with our transformation strategy.
Contino’s iterative and collaborative approach with a lean style management practice coupled with an unwavering customer focus, ensured high levels of stakeholder engagement, advocacy and delivery.
Andrew Christos | Manager, Business Transformation